Saturday 7 July 2012

Little Lemon Cup Cakes

I thought I might avoid some tidying today by doing a spot of baking. And I also thought I'd give the cup-cake-baker another try...

This was a Christmas present from my brother:

I've used it once before with slightly dubious results. It makes a very funny smell, and it's been hidden away for months since.




Little Lemon Cup Cakes (in a little cup cake cooker)
Makes 7 cakes -

2oz Marg
2oz Caster Sugar
1 egg
2oz Self-raising Flour
zest of half a lemon
juice of quarter of a lemon
Icing sugar (sorry... I never weigh icing sugar!!)

Switch on the device to bring it up to temperature.

Cream the marg and sugar together until light and fluffy.


Beat in the egg


Sift the flour and fold in thoroughly


Add the zest of the lemon, and half the lemon juice, and mix.

Fill cake cases with the mixture, and place in the baker  (that's the cup cake baker... not the cook...)


This is what they looked like after about 10 minutes, they were going brown, but were still soggy, so they had another few minutes of cooking.


 mmm. Toasty! Leave to cool slightly on a wire rack.


Mix up the icing using the icing sugar, the remainder of the lemon juice and a splash of water.
Drizzle the icing on the cakes, and finish with a pretty little jelly lemon slice!


So, what was the result? Well... the funny smell is still there, don't know what that is! It doesn't seem to cook the cakes very evenly. They were cooked all the way through, certainly, but the cakes browned at different rates, and all of them had a slighty black patch on the bottom from the heating element.

But they do taste quite lovely!!


2 comments:

  1. Hello Katy, I have popped across from the Folksy blog discussion. I love baking! So will definitely be following your recipies!

    Sarah xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's lovely to see you here! I'm happy to take suggestions for things to try...

      Delete